A spark from faulty electrical items and wiring can lead to a fire.
Most electrical faults can be detected just by a visual inspection – so take a look at the electrical equipment in your home and your childcare centre, to see whether you can spot any of the problems listed in the checklist below.
IMPORTANT: If you notice any of the faults listed, contact a qualified electrician. DO NOT try to repair the damage yourself.
ACTION: Click the icon below and check your equipment against the list of potential problems:
Are the cables and wires frayed or worn?
Is the cable fastened securely to the plug?
Are there signs that the plug has overheated?
Can you see melted or deformed plastic or burn marks?
Are there scorch marks around the socket?
Simple things you can do:
Unplug appliances when not in use unless they are designed to be left on, like fridges and freezers
Keep electrical appliances clean and in good working order Look out for fuses that blow, circuit-breakers that trip for no obvious reason and flickering lights to prevent them triggering a fire
Check electrical equipment for a British or European safety mark
Always check that you use the right fuse to prevent overloading When you’re fitting or replacing a fuse, it’s important to use the right fuse for the appliance to make sure the cable doesn’t overheat and that the appliance is protected in the event of a fault.