First aid is the help we give to someone who is injured or ill until they can get more advanced medical treatment, if needed.
Your role as a first aider is to give someone this help while making sure that you and anyone else involved are safe and that you don’t make the situation worse.
To be a good First Aider you need to:
- Stay calm, especially when you are working with children
- Have the confidence to apply what you have been taught in your First Aid Training
- Communicate appropriately and confidently with the casualty, helpers, parents and medical personnel
- Recognise the limits of your knowledge and skills
- Refresh your first aid skills and knowledge regularly